Is testosterone remedy actually all it’s cracked as much as be? Does it actually assist your intercourse life? Does it truly aid you dwell longer? Is testosterone the medicinal Holy Grail for males? And the way, pray inform, have we come to consider that anabolic-suffused aggressive bodybuilders, these (spray) tanned Adonis’ with ripped, ballooned muscle tissue in all places, are actually “wholesome” when actually they don’t seem to be: their mortality price as younger males is unspeakably excessive. But there are these, together with my sufferers, who swear by testosterone as the key sauce to their high quality of life. They only wouldn’t be the identical with out it. So, possibly the 1st Century BC Roman poet Lucretius was proper when he mentioned that one man’s treatment is one other man’s poison.
“Vitamin T” Advantages
What does testosterone truly do? Throughout improvement, it helps male fetuses develop male genital organs. At puberty, it turns boys into males by serving to them develop tall, construct muscle, and grow to be fertile. In grownup males, it maintains fertility and sexual perform, and preserves muscle and bone mass. The perfect information on the advantages of testosterone come from The Testosterone Trials, a bunch of seven double-blind trials in 788 males. These males averaged 72 years previous and had very low testosterone ranges, which had been boosted to ranges thought of the mid-normal vary for younger males and adopted for a 12 months. Right here what testosterone did for them:
- Sexual want, erections and sexual exercise elevated.
- Improved temper, lessened depressive signs, however didn’t enhance vitality.
- Elevated 6-minute stroll distances.
- Improved blood counts.
- Improved bone density and bone energy.
This all matches in with my analogy that, like oil in an engine, testosterone retains issues operating easily as we age. Likewise, when the “oil” of testosterone is low, you could possibly say that the engine wears out sooner and doesn’t work as properly or so long as it ought to. Observe too, that when testosterone ranges are actually low in a lot youthful males, we’d count on extra profit than that obtained within the older males within the T-Trials.
Clearly regular testosterone ranges are good for the physique. However what testosterone doesn’t do can also be value noting:
- It’s not a typical explanation for both erectile dysfunction or low intercourse drive.
- By itself it won’t aid you construct muscle or lose fats.
- It doesn’t enhance vitality ranges considerably.
- It won’t aid you dwell endlessly.
- It won’t get you extra dates or make you a intercourse machine.
- It won’t make you taller as an grownup.
The Small Print
There are a whole lot of methods to take testosterone as of late: utilized gels or lotions, injections, implants, patches, buccal adhesives and most not too long ago, tablets. Nevertheless, for those who’re contemplating taking testosterone, additionally contemplate its potential unintended effects and issues:
- Fertility shall be impaired as testosterone dietary supplements are efficient contraceptives.
- Testicles will grow to be smaller and softer.
- Blood counts can enhance, resulting in thick blood, leg clots and strokes.
- Male sample baldness shall be accelerated.
- Breast enlargement and tenderness.
- Pimples can return. Pores and skin might grow to be oily.
- Sleep apnea and prostate enlargement might worsen.
- Monitoring for prostate and breast most cancers is extra vital.
- Potential elevated threat of coronary heart assaults.
In my observe, this plethora of pluses and minuses are utilized to every affected person contemplating testosterone substitute. I additionally carry out a root trigger evaluation to determine whether or not the signs could be as a result of a dozen or so underlying (and treatable) medical situations that may mimic or end in low T. It’s additionally spectacular how usually easy life-style selections that encourage train, wholesome consuming and sufficient sleep might “treatment” signs that had been attributed to low T. The underside line is taking testosterone is a critical dedication to a critical medicine and wishes some critical thought and so I urge you to seek the advice of with an skilled earlier than starting this medical odyssey.
This publish was initially revealed to Dr. Turek’s weblog.