This chocolate mousse cake is a moist, tender chocolate cake topped with hazelnut chocolate mousse and selfmade vanilla whipped cream. Seize your whisks and mixing bowls, and prepare to make some magic.
Straightforward Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
This decadent dessert combines wealthy chocolate cake, silky easy chocolate mousse, and fluffy selfmade whipped cream. The cake itself is my traditional chocolate cake. Splendidly fudgy and completely moist, it’s brushed with a hazelnut-flavored liqueur for an additional pop of taste.
The chocolate mousse that tops the cake is totally different out of your typical mousse. It’s higher. I used hazelnut chocolate (good subsequent to the hazelnut-flavored liqueur that coats the cake). Silky easy, wealthy, however not too wealthy, and ever so barely nutty, you’ll have a tough time resisting devouring this mousse earlier than it makes it to the cake. The entire thing is completed with swirls of selfmade whipped cream for good measure.
Put together your self for a deal with, buddies. This could be the final chocolate dessert recipe you’ll ever want. It’s certain to win over the hearts and style buds of the chocolate lovers in your life.
Why You’ll Love This Mousse Dessert
If the title “chocolate mousse cake” doesn’t already have you ever salivating in anticipation, listed below are some the explanation why you simply need to make this obscenely scrumptious dessert.
- A singular mousse. Traditional chocolate mousse is the top of chocolate desserts, however this recipe takes it to the subsequent stage by incorporating hazelnut chocolate into the confection. The hazelnut provides it a buttery, nutty taste that’s considerably harking back to Nutella.
- Texture. The cake itself is moist and splendidly tender, and the chocolate mousse is silky easy. It glides over like a dream.
- Nicely balanced. This cake strikes an ideal stability between wealthy and not-too-sweet. The chocolate cake is fudgy and decadent, however using milk chocolate within the mousse and the addition of whipped cream to the highest of the cake does an excellent job of breaking apart that richness simply the correct quantity.
What Is Mousse?
Gentle, fluffy, creamy, and easy all on the identical time, chocolate mousse is a French dessert that has made a reputation for itself all through the world. Sometimes, it’s created from heavy whipping cream, chocolate, eggs, butter, and sugar all expertly heated and whisked right into a wealthy, silky pudding-like consistency. It’s served chilled, usually with chocolate shavings and/or whipped cream.
The mousse on this cake mimics a traditional chocolate mousse. It’s not the true deal as a result of it doesn’t comprise eggs or butter (I needed to make it simpler on you all). That being stated, it nonetheless has the irresistible taste and texture of a traditional rendition.
Now it’s time to go on over to the shop and seize the next elements to make this cake.
- Hazelnut-flavored milk chocolate or plain milk chocolate
- Heavy whipping cream
- Hazelnut-flavored liqueur
How one can Make Chocolate Mousse Cake
Right here’s a fast have a look at find out how to make this fabulous mousse dessert. That is only a fundamental overview, so remember to scroll to the recipe card beneath for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Soften the butter and whisk within the vanilla.
- Whisk collectively the dry elements.
- Prepare dinner the eggs and sugar. Whisk collectively the eggs and sugar. Warmth the combination in a double broiler over medium-low warmth for two minutes, whisking repeatedly. Take away from the warmth and beat for five minutes.
- Assemble the batter. Fold the dry elements into the egg combination in 3 elements. Then fold 1 cup of the cake batter into the nice and cozy butter and fold that combination into the remaining cake batter.
To make the mousse
- Soften the chocolate and make the whipped cream. Soften the chocolate in a double broiler over sizzling water. Enable it to chill. Beat collectively heavy cream and salt till delicate peaks kind.
- Put all of it collectively. Combine the water into the melted chocolate after which fold within the whipped cream.
- Unfold the mousse over the cake. Brush the cake with hazelnut liqueur and unfold the mousse excessive.
For the whipped vanilla frosting
- Make the whipped cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar till delicate peaks kind.
- Enhance the cake. Pipe vanilla frosting across the edges of the cake. Cowl and chill in a single day.
Useful Suggestions for Making A Chocolate Mousse Cake
- High quality Elements: Use high-quality chocolate. The flavour of your cake and mousse will closely rely on the standard of the chocolate you utilize.
- Baking the Cake: Don’t overbake the cake. It’s straightforward to dry out a chocolate cake. Begin checking if it’s performed a couple of minutes earlier than the advisable baking time. It’s prepared when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a couple of moist crumbs.
- Cool Utterly: Enable the cake to chill fully earlier than you try so as to add the mousse. If it’s nonetheless heat, it may well trigger the mousse to soften, and the layers received’t maintain up.
- Mousse Texture: When making the mousse, whip your cream to delicate peaks. If it’s too stiff, it may well make the mousse texture grainy. Additionally, ensure the chocolate is just not too sizzling while you combine it with the whipped cream to keep away from deflating it.
- Mousse Settling: After making use of the mousse layer, let the cake sit within the fridge for a bit to permit the mousse to agency up. It will make the cake extra steady and simpler to frost.
- Frosting: For the frosting, ensure your heavy cream may be very chilly. It will make it simpler to whip and assist it maintain its form. If you would like, you too can add a stabilizer akin to gelatin or powdered sugar to assist preserve its construction.
- Serving: All the time serve the cake nearer to room temperature. Whilst you ought to retailer it within the fridge, take it out about half-hour earlier than serving for the very best taste and texture.
- Chopping the Cake: Use a heat knife (dip it in sizzling water and wipe it dry) to chop the cake. This gives you clear slices that exhibit the attractive layers.
- Fridge. Retailer chocolate mousse cake in an hermetic cake service or wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap. You need to use toothpicks to prop the plastic away from the whipped cream to maintain it fairly. Sliced it already? Organize the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. Retailer the cake within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Freezer: Enable the cake to agency up within the freezer for a few hours earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. In case you already sliced the cake, retailer the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. Complete or sliced, retailer the cake within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw it within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Chocolate Desserts to Attempt
Whew! I don’t find out about you, however all of this discuss of mousse cake has gotten me in a chocolate form of temper. Thank goodness I’ve a plethora of different chocolate-centric recipes so that you can attempt. Test ’em out:
For the Whipped Vanilla Frosting
For the Cake
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Line the underside of a 9-inch springform cake pan with parchment paper. Put aside.
Soften the butter in a saucepan set over medium warmth.
Take away from warmth and switch the butter right into a small metallic bowl; whisk within the vanilla calmly and put aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively the flour and cocoa powder; whisk till included.
In a separate massive bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar till blended.
Pour water in a big skillet and produce to a simmer.
Place the bowl with the egg combination within the skillet, consistently whisking till egg combination is lukewarm, about 2 minutes.
Take away bowl from water.
Place the bowl with butter in the identical skillet over low warmth to maintain heat.
Utilizing an electrical mixer, beat the egg combination till cool and tripled in quantity, about 5 minutes.
Sift 1/3 of the flour-cocoa combination over the egg combination and gently fold it in with a rubber spatula.
Fold within the remaining flour-cocoa combination in 2 extra additions.
Fold 1 cup of cake batter into the nice and cozy butter; fold till included.
Utilizing a rubber spatula, gently fold the butter-cake batter combination into the remaining cake batter.
Switch the batter to the beforehand ready springform pan.
Bake for half-hour, or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clear, and the highest of the cake springs again barely when gently pressed.
Take away from the oven; switch the cake to a cooling rack and funky it fully contained in the pan.
Take away the cooled cake from the pan and invert the cake onto the rack; take away the parchment and set the cake apart.
For the Mousse
Pour sufficient water into a big skillet to achieve a depth of 1 inch; carry to a simmer.
Place the chopped chocolate in a metallic bowl.
Take away simmering water from the warmth and place the bowl with chocolate contained in the skillet.
Stir till the chocolate is melted and easy.
Take away the bowl from the water and let the chocolate calm down.
Utilizing an electrical mixer, beat the heavy cream and the salt in one other bowl till very delicate peaks kind.
Whisk 3 tablespoons of water into the melted chocolate.
Slowly pour the whipped cream combination and fold it into the melted chocolate simply till included. Put aside.
Brush the highest of the chilled cake with liqueur.
Beginning 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the sting of the cake, unfold the mousse over the cake. Put aside.
For the Whipped Vanilla Frosting
In your mixer’s bowl, mix chilled heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar; beat the combination on medium-high till delicate peaks kind.
Pipe vanilla frosting across the empty edges of cake, pipe as much as identical peak because the mousse.
Cowl and chill in a single day.
Minimize and serve.
- Elements: Use good high quality chocolate.
- Hazelnut-flavored milk chocolate: In case you don’t have any or can’t discover hazelnut-flavored chocolate, you too can use common chocolate chips if you happen to’d like.
- Heavy whipping cream: The heavy whipping cream needs to be chilly. In any other case, it received’t maintain quantity as nicely, and you would find yourself with a flat chocolate mousse.
- Hazelnut-flavored liqueur: Frangelico could be my prime decide.
- Baking: Don’t overbake the cake. Test it early.
- Cooling: Let the cake cool earlier than including mousse.
- Mousse: Whip the cream to delicate peaks, and don’t combine it with sizzling chocolate. Look forward to the chocolate to chill.
- Resting: Let the cake set within the fridge.
- Serving: Serve the cake at room temperature.
- Chopping: Use a heat knife for clear slices.
- Storing within the fridge: Put the cake in an hermetic container or wrap it twice in plastic wrap. If lower, retailer slices in a single-layer container. Hold the cake within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Storing within the freezer: Enable the cake to agency up within the freezer for a few hours earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. Retailer slices or the entire cake in a container. Hold within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Defrost within the fridge earlier than serving.
***Tailored from Bon Appetit ***
Serving: 1 slice | Energy: 295 kcal | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Protein: 4 g | Fats: 22 g | Saturated Fats: 14 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 86 mg | Sodium: 47 mg | Potassium: 131 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 19 g | Vitamin A: 639 IU | Vitamin C: 0.2 mg | Calcium: 36 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Internet Carbs: 22 g
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in accordance with the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.