Giro d’Italia Stage 19: Buitrago Masters Mountains; Roglic and Thomas Inseparable
Santiago Buitrago of Bahrain delivered what the general leaders couldn’t muster within the highest mountains of the Giro d’Italia — an exciting and majestic victory within the race’s nineteenth stage atop the Tre Cime di Lavaredo. Buitrago reeled in Derek Gee of Israel-Premier Tech after the Canadian’s heroic effort reached the ultimate slopes of the Queen Stage, a Dolomites feast of the best order. However the Colombian had extra to offer on the excessive altitude, and floor away to Gee’s wheel, then previous him, and alone to the win.
Behind the pair, and some extra stragglers from the break (like Magnus Cort of EF, who took third), the Race for Pink hit a stalemate, as in a single day chief Geraint Thomas of INEOS and Primož Roglič of Jumbo shadowed one another all day lengthy, besides within the last 1500 meters when Roglič, having made the modern option to experience a 1x drivetrain on the ultimate climb, sped previous Thomas for a short second of motion. Thomas appeared as much as the problem although, and got here across the Slovenian for a short hole within the final 200 meters, just for Roglič to dig deep and reverse the hole for an obvious three second benefit. Third-placed João Almeida of UAE dropped extra time within the last stretch, in all probability cementing his destiny on the rostrum’s lowest step. Heading into tomorrow’s mountain time trial, Roglič now trails by 26 seconds and the Giro ought to be determined 24 hours from at present’s finale.
For Buitrago, that is his second profession Giro stage win after final yr’s stage triumph within the Alps, and he has moved as much as twelfth place on basic classification, elevating questions on whether or not we’ll see the 23-year-old make a severe problem for the maglia rosa in future years. Granted, successful out of the break isn’t the identical as successful towards the highest competitors, however his climbing prowess is simple. Gee, in the meantime, often is the revelation of the Giro because the 25-year-old Ottawan has proven large battle and talent in his first-ever grand tour.
- BUITRAGO Santiago , Bahrain – Victorious, 5:28:07
- GEE Derek, Israel – Premier Tech, at 0:51
- CORT Magnus, EF Schooling-EasyPost, at 1:46
- ROGLIČ Primož, Jumbo-Visma, s.t.
- ALMEIDA João, UAE Workforce Emirates, at 2:09
- CARUSO Damiano, Bahrain – Victorious, s.t.
- ARENSMAN Thymen, INEOS Grenadiers
- PINOT Thibaut, Groupama – FDJ, at 2:16
- RUBIO Einer Augusto, Movistar Workforce, at 2:26
- THOMAS Geraint, INEOS Grenadiers, 81:55:47
- ROGLIČ Primož, Jumbo-Visma, at 0:26
- ALMEIDA João, UAE Workforce Emirates, at 0:59
- CARUSO Damiano, Bahrain – Victorious, at 4:11
- DUNBAR Eddie, Workforce Jayco AlUla, at 4:53
- PINOT Thibaut, Groupama – FDJ, at 5:10
- ARENSMAN Thymen, INEOS Grenadiers, at 5:13
- KÄMNA Lennard, BORA – hansgrohe, at 5:54
- LEKNESSUND Andreas, Workforce DSM, at 6:08
- DE PLUS Laurens, INEOS Grenadiers, at 7:30
Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km
Friday, Dolomites, large quantities of climbing. Sure you guessed proper, welcome to the Queen Stage of the 2023 Giro d’Italia!
Anticipated end time: 16:50-17:35 CEST
Threepeaker of the Day : Primož Roglič
This not at all appears like a positive factor which is sensible at this level. All to play for.