Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes are a fast and wholesome meal thought or facet dish that you could make in below an hour. These baked tomatoes are full of flavorful quinoa and spinach and topped with melty cheese.
Searching for extra methods to show recent veggies into an all-in-one lunch or dinner? Attempt these Ricotta and Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes.
Tacky Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
In the event you’re on the lookout for the proper mild and straightforward meal thought to make ASAP, it’s these vegetarian stuffed tomatoes! This recipe for baked tomatoes loaded with quinoa is full of tons of textures and taste. One of the best half? It’s a multitasker. Make quinoa stuffed tomatoes as a vegetarian primary, or make them as a facet together with your favourite recipes. And repeat.
These simple quinoa stuffed tomatoes are the meatless Monday lunch or dinner of goals. I stuff recent ripe tomatoes with protein-filled spinach, quinoa, and savory herbs, then bake them with loads of gooey, melty mozzarella cheese.
Why You’ll Love This Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- Flavorful. Quinoa has a nutty, earthy style that’s much like brown rice, and it takes on the flavors of this recipe superbly. Mixed with garlicky sauteed spinach and recent herbs, it’s the proper filling for juicy, tangy tomatoes.
- Fast & Straightforward. This stuffed tomato recipe takes minutes to prep. Then all that’s left to do is bake! Have a wholesome, hearty vegetarian lunch, dinner, or facet dish prepared in below an hour.
- Excessive-Protein. Quinoa and spinach carry a great deal of plant protein to those tacky stuffed tomatoes.
What Is Quinoa?
Quinoa is taken into account an entire grain; nonetheless, it isn’t technically a grain in any respect. It’s the seeds of the quinoa plant! The seeds are excessive in fiber, protein, and nutritional vitamins when in comparison with many grains. You’ll typically discover quinoa in the identical grocery retailer aisle as different raw grains like rice and bulgur.
Which Is More healthy: Rice or Quinoa?
Like rice, quinoa is of course gluten-free and tastes nice in a great deal of recipes. Not like rice, quinoa is an entire supply of plant protein (hi there, important aminos!). One cup of quinoa additionally has extra fiber than the identical quantity of rice. This makes it a more healthy alternative that may additionally maintain you fuller for longer.
The way to Make Stuffed Tomatoes With Quinoa
Who’s able to get stuffing? Beneath is a fast overview of find out how to make quinoa stuffed tomatoes. Remember to scroll all the way down to the recipe card for an ingredient listing and detailed directions.
- Prep your components. Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and hole out the within. Sprinkle with salt and organize the hollowed tomatoes on a baking sheet. Subsequent, carry the quinoa and water to a boil after which simmer, coated, for quarter-hour.
- Make the quinoa filling. In a skillet, saute the spinach with a little bit of oil, salt, and pepper. Add in garlic and parsley, then take the pan off the warmth and stir within the quinoa.
- Fill and bake the tomatoes. Spoon the filling into the tomatoes, cowl them with foil, after which bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
- Add cheese. Sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan excessive of the tomatoes earlier than returning them to the oven uncovered. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, till the cheese is melted.
Right here’s find out how to flip your quinoa stuffed tomatoes right into a hearty lunch or wholesome dinner:
Storing and Reheating Extras
Correctly saved, these baked quinoa stuffed tomatoes make nice leftovers. I like to cut my tomatoes up, filling and all, and toss them into salads the next day.
- Refrigerate any leftover stuffed tomatoes hermetic for as much as 3-4 days. Serve them at room temperature or reheat the stuffed tomatoes within the oven at 350ºF till warmed via.
- I don’t suggest freezing stuffed tomatoes, whether or not they’re cooked or raw. The tomatoes are likely to turn out to be mushy and mushy once they thaw.
Extra Vegetarian Recipes to Attempt
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Slice off 1/2 inch of the stem finish of the tomatoes and hole out the within.
Slice only a small part off of the underside of the tomatoes in order that they are going to sit flat on a baking sheet.
Sprinkle salt within the hole portion of every tomato and place hole facet up on the baking sheet. Put aside.
Place water and quinoa in a saucepan and convey to a boil; decrease to a simmer, cowl, and prepare dinner for quarter-hour.
In the meantime, warmth the olive oil in a frying pan and stir within the spinach; season with salt and pepper, and prepare dinner till simply wilted.
Stir within the garlic and parsley, prepare dinner for a minute longer, and take away from the burner.
Add cooked quinoa to the spinach and blend nicely.
Style for salt and pepper and alter accordingly.
Evenly divide the filling among the many tomatoes.
Cowl with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Take away foil, sprinkle tops with parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
Bake uncovered for an extra 5 minutes or till cheese is melted.
- Tomatoes: One of the best tomatoes for stuffing are massive, spherical, plump tomatoes. Good selections are Beefsteak tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, and Campari tomatoes.
- Make Forward: You may put together the filling and stuff the tomatoes as much as 1-2 days forward. As a substitute of baking, cowl the stuffed tomatoes hermetic and refrigerate them till you’re able to bake.
- Storage: Retailer leftover stuffed tomatoes within the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Take pleasure in leftovers chilly or reheat them within the oven at 350ºF till heat.
- Serving: I’ll typically finances 1-2 tomatoes per particular person when serving this as a primary, and ½ to 1 tomato per particular person as a facet dish.
- Substitute Quinoa: The quinoa on this recipe will be changed with rice, bulgur wheat, lentils, and even couscous. Take into account that some grain varieties are usually not gluten-free.
- Cheese: As a substitute of mozzarella and parmesan, you may as well prime the quinoa stuffed tomatoes with crumbly feta, Monterey Jack, or shredded cheddar cheese.
Serving: 1 stuffed tomato | Energy: 176 kcal | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Protein: 9 g | Fats: 7 g | Saturated Fats: 3 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2 g | Ldl cholesterol: 15 mg | Sodium: 189 mg | Potassium: 560 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 3 g | Vitamin A: 3269 IU | Vitamin C: 24 mg | Calcium: 156 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 17 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might differ in accordance with the components and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.