This straightforward Taco Casserole recipe is the last word weeknight consolation meals. It’s a savory floor beef casserole full of your whole favourite Mexican flavors! Comprised of tender beef cooked with zesty tomatoes, poblano peppers, and spinach, then layered with tortillas and many cheese.
A Tacky and Straightforward Taco Casserole Recipe
This straightforward taco casserole recipe is flavorful, filling, and scrumptious. And simple, after all! It’s the right consolation meals to make on weeknights and equally nice for feeding a crowd. Make this Mexican casserole forward and take it alongside to your subsequent fiesta!
My taco bake is layer after layer of sentimental flour tortillas and a savory filling made with floor beef, spinach, veggies, and two varieties of cheese. This casserole recipe has all of our favourite Tex-Mex flavors baked into a straightforward and tacky meal-in-one.
Why You’ll Love This Mexican Casserole
- Straightforward. This taco casserole recipe is simple to make and simply as straightforward to customise. There are such a lot of methods you can make it your personal relating to the filling, veggies, and toppings.
- Flavorful and Filling. Weeknight meals don’t get extra satisfying than this zesty Mexican casserole with floor beef. It’s loaded with Tex-Mex flavors, type of like an extra-cheesy baked model of a Taco Bowl.
- Good for You. This straightforward dinner thought is excessive in protein and wholesome greens, for the last word household meal or potluck dish.
What You’ll Want
Under is a fast take a look at a few of the key substances you’ll must make your straightforward taco casserole. Remember to scroll right down to the recipe card for a full ingredient checklist and detailed directions.
- Tortillas: Comfortable flour tortillas are finest for this recipe, although tender corn tortillas can even work. You should use common, low-carb, or whole-grain tortillas.
- Floor Beef: I take advantage of lean floor beef, however you may make this casserole utilizing any floor meat you’d like. Floor rooster and floor turkey would even be scrumptious.
- Veggies: This recipe provides juicy diced tomatoes, spinach, and poblano peppers for a Tex-Mex kick. The veggies you add to the filling are additionally completely customizable (see the variation concepts later within the put up for ideas!).
- Cheese: Two varieties of shredded melty cheese actually amps up the flavour and ooey-gooey issue of this casserole.
How you can Make This Taco Casserole
Who’s able to salsa? ‘Trigger your tastebuds are about to do a contented dance. fast overview of find out how to make this scrumptious Mexican casserole:
- Put together the taco filling. Brown the meat with olive oil, garlic, and seasonings, then stir within the diced tomatoes and poblano peppers. Proceed to sauté the meat for one more couple of minutes, till the veggies are tender. Lastly, add the spinach.
- Assemble the casserole. Add one layer of floor beef combination to the underside of a greased baking dish, and place a tortilla overtop. Layer on extra meat, shredded cheese, and a second tortilla, and repeat. End with a last layer of meat and cheese.
- Bake. Cowl the baking dish with foil and bake the casserole at 350ºF for half-hour. After, let it bake for one more 5 minutes uncovered, till the cheese is melted. As soon as your casserole is out of the oven, let it relaxation for a bit earlier than garnishing.
- Add toppings. High this casserole with all of your favourite taco toppings. We love avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, crunchy tortilla chips, and recent chopped cilantro. Sliced jalapeños would additionally give it kick.
How Scorching Are Poblano Peppers?
The poblano peppers that I take advantage of on this casserole are a sort of delicate inexperienced chili pepper from Mexico. Additionally known as ancho or chile ancho, poblanos have a light-weight kick and a taste that’s extra smoky than sizzling. For those who’d favor a spicier casserole, go forward and commerce poblano peppers on your favourite sizzling chilies.
This Mexican-inspired casserole is principally the lazy chef’s twist on taco night time (love!). It goes deliciously with so many straightforward sides. Listed below are a couple of of my favourite concepts to pair with a tacky taco bake:
- Garnishes. The sky’s the restrict relating to toppings for a taco casserole. Serve with dollops of bitter cream, and Restaurant Model Salsa Fresca.
- Rice. Rice is a straightforward strategy to spherical out a meal. One in every of my Mexican favorites is that this Fiesta Rice. For a low-carb possibility, attempt Cauliflower Rice.
- Chips and Dip. For a recent and straightforward appetizer, we love crunchy corn chips dipped in selfmade Mango Guacamole.
- Spicy Sofritas. This Chipotle sofritas tofu copycat recipe is stuffed with taste and veggies. It’s the right meat-free aspect for this beefy taco casserole.
- Corn. Corn of every kind is a basic Mexican aspect dish. You haven’t lived till you’ve skilled Mexican road corn, a.ok.a. Elote. It even impressed this zesty Mexican Road Corn Salad!
- Dessert. My Mexican Scorching Chocolate Fudge is the right candy and spicy end to a weeknight Tex-Mex feast.
What sort of casserole doesn’t go away loads of wiggle room for variations? Actually not this one. Identical to tacos, you may DIY this taco casserole to fit your household’s tastes. Strive these concepts:
- Substitute Floor Beef. For those who’d favor a leaner filling, make this recipe with floor rooster or floor turkey, or pulled rooster or pulled pork. Leftover Salsa Verde Hen additionally makes an ideal filling possibility.
- Seasoning. Rather than chili powder, attempt Selfmade Taco Seasoning. Be happy to adapt the spice stage to your style. You can even add recent chopped herbs like cilantro.
- Extra Veggies. Sauté diced onions, crimson bell peppers, candy corn, zucchini, or jalapeños so as to add to the filling.
- Change Up the Cheeses. Combine and match your favourite melty cheeses for much more taste. Rather than (or along with) Monterey Jack and Cheddar, attempt shredded Pepper Jack, Asiago cheese, or Queso Fresco.
- Vegetarian. To make a vegetarian taco casserole, substitute the bottom beef with mushrooms, black beans, pinto beans, lentils, crumbled tofu, or your most well-liked meatless mince.
Extra Tex-Mex Recipes to Strive
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Warmth olive oil in a big skillet set over medium-low warmth.
Add the diced poblano and prepare dinner for 3 minutes, or till simply tender; stir within the garlic and prepare dinner for 15 seconds or till aromatic.
Stir within the beef and season with chili powder, floor cumin, salt, and pepper.
Cook dinner till meat is browned, stirring often to interrupt up the meat, about 6 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and proceed to prepare dinner for two minutes.
Stir in recent spinach and prepare dinner for a further 1 to 2 minutes or till spinach is wilted. Take away from warmth.
Mix the shredded cheeses in a bowl and put aside.
Coat a 2-quart or 3-quart baking dish with butter.
Cowl the underside of the baking dish with a layer of the meat sauce.
High with 1 flour tortilla and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the tortilla.
Repeat layers, and high every layer with meat combination and cheese earlier than including the following flour tortilla.
End off by spreading the remaining meat combination on high and the remaining cheeses.
Cowl and bake for half-hour; take away cowl and proceed to prepare dinner for five to eight extra minutes or till bubbly.
Take away from oven and let stand for 10 minutes; garnish with slices of avocado, cherry tomatoes, and tortilla chips, and serve.
- Make Forward: This casserole will be ready 1-2 days forward. Brown the meat and layer the casserole in a baking dish following the recipe. Cowl tightly and refrigerate the unbaked casserole and bake as directed everytime you’re prepared!
- Seasoning: Make your personal Selfmade Taco Seasoning to make use of rather than chili powder.
- Grate the Cheese: Use freshly grated cheese every time you may, as the luggage of pre-shredded cheese don’t soften as properly.
- Grease the Baking Dish: Coating the baking dish with butter or Crisco makes scooping, serving, and cleansing a lot simpler.
- Retailer leftover taco casserole within the fridge for as much as 4 days and reheat as wanted. It will also be used as a beef burrito filling.
- Freeze the casserole, earlier than or after baking, for as much as a month. Thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than baking or reheating, including further time if wanted.
Energy: 379 kcal | Carbohydrates: 16 g | Protein: 29 g | Fats: 23 g | Saturated Fats: 10 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8 g | Trans Fats: 0.3 g | Ldl cholesterol: 82 mg | Sodium: 476 mg | Potassium: 732 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 3 g | Vitamin A: 4971 IU | Vitamin C: 31 mg | Calcium: 363 mg | Iron: 4 mg | Web Carbs: 13 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could fluctuate in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.